-->

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

This is something I've been wanting to try for a little bit, and we emptied the last our bottle of laundry soap, I figured this was as good a time as any to give it a try! I did some research at One Good Thing and Marmee's Pantry about recipes and essential oils to add.

This is the recipe I ended up going with. I basically halved it. I didn't have enough jugs, and I also didn't want to make a huge batch and hate it. :P


Liquid Laundry Soap
½ bar of Fels Naptha soap
½ cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (make sure it’s Super Washing Soda)
1/3 cup Mule Team Borax
20 drops lavender essential oil (optional, but good for antiseptic qualities, and leaves a good clean scent)

Grate soap, put in pot and fill to about a fourth of the pan with water. Melt  over medium heat until soap is dissolved and it’s a creamy texture. Add lavender oil if you’re using it.
Soap and water.

Heat just until soap is melted.
Add borax and soda, stirring occasionally. Make sure it doesn't boil at this point, as it will easily boil over and make a mess. :P
Add soda and borax.

It will be creamy and slightly thicker at this point.

Heat just until all the ingredients are mixed and it’s nice and creamy. Remove from heat and let cool fifteen minutes or so. I used gallon milk jugs for mine, not the best but it was all I had. I wanted to make sure it wouldn’t melt the jugs, so I waited longer.

Divide between the jugs. I did 2/3 in one, 1/3 in the other.  I used a glass one cup measure to transfer it since I didn’t have a funnel that size.

Add  hot water to bring the jugs to half and fourth full, respectively.  Shake vigoursely, and leave overnight.
Add water...

Before I shook it.

After I shook it.

In the morning I took the handle of a wooden spoon and broke up the “glob”, then added enough water to bring the soap up to a few inches below the top, and a little over half in the smaller jug.
Shake vigorously again, and it’s done! J
I tried it today on a load, and I love it! I threw in some soured dish rags, and some jeans that had also soured when they didn't dry well, and everything smelled and looked clean and fresh! I'm not a lavender person usually, but I really like the fresh scent it added. 

Use ½ cup per load. Top load: do not put in the soap dispenser, put right in with the wash. 

I also did a price break down, and I was impressed with the results! :)
Soap cost ($0.97 for one bar = $0.49 for 1 batch) + washing soda cost ($3.25 for 6.5 cups = $0.46 for 1 batch or 1/2 cup) + borax cost ($3.38 for 20.5 cups = $0.08 for 1 batch or 1/2 cup) = $1.03 for 1 batch. 1.5 gallons per batch. Using 1/2 cup for each load equals 32 loads from 1 batch = $0.68 per gallon, $0.043 per load!
Tide Spring Renewel: This jugs is less than a gallon, about 3 quarts
 $12 one jug, divided by 60 loads (as per directions)= $12.00 per jug (3 quarts), $0.20 per load

Savings of: $11.32 per batch, $0.16 per load!!

No comments:

Post a Comment